Went up to the north-western top San Francisco to visit the Sutro Baths and Cliff House.
The Sutro Baths opened in 1896. It was a large glass enclosure containing over 1 million gallons of water (both fresh and salt water pools), restaurants, and an amphitheater. More information here.
The first Cliff House was built in 1863. It was leased to several people, the last of whom turned it into a restaurant. The restaurant had a chimney fire which burned it down in 1894. The second Cliff House was built in 1896. It was used for dining, dancing, and entertainment. It survived the 1906 earth quake, only to burn to the ground in 1907. The third Cliff House was built in 1909 and still stands today. More information here.